Studio PolicyGramPianoStudio policy
Thank you for choosing me as your piano teacher!
In order to ensure that you or your child get the most effective and creative teaching possible, I have established the following policies:
- Students get one 45-minute lesson per week, a total of 37 lessons per year.
- Young beginners may apply for 30-minute lessons as an exception.
- The studio is closed on certain days as detailed in the studio calendar.
- Make-up lessons will note be given. At times I may offer online mini-lessons or group events, however this will depend on availability. Unfortunately my schedule does not allow for accommodating make-up lessons.
2 Home instrument requirementsThe student must have daily access to an 88-key acoustic piano, or alternatively, an 88-weighted key digital piano with at least one attached pedal. Acoustic pianos should be tuned at least once per year.
- The first lesson in the first year of study is offered free of charge.
- Thereafter the student must register for study and pay for a minimum of one month of lessons or cancel the enrolment.
- 2017 lesson cost is:
- Beginner's lessons are billed monthly ($158/month in 12 equal payments). The cost includes ordinary instructional materials.
- Young beginner's 30-minute lessons are also billed monthly ($112/month in 12 equal payments)
- Advanced students may have 60-minute lessons ($74/lesson - intermediate to advanced students only)
- Group lessons (pending interest) are offered at $30 per student per 55 minute lesson, where there are four (4) students per group.
- GST is not charged at present.
- The basic lesson cost will be adjusted from year to year.
- There is a 20% family discount for the second (or more) students from the same household.
- Lesson attendance at the teacher’s home studio in Nowhere Creek attracts a 20% discount.
- Payment is due in advance by direct subscription through PayPal or by direct bank deposit.
- Alternative payment options may be negotiated at time of registration.
4 Missed lessonsMissed lessons are not rescheduled, unless by mutual agreement (swap) between students. If lessons are swapped this decision must be communicated to the teacher at least one day before the lesson. Lesson times can only be swapped with another student in the same town.
5 Lesson conduct
- Students are expected to practice regularly at home (5 days per week) and to bring all their instructional materials to each lesson.
- When lessons are delivered in-home a responsible adult must be present during lesson times.
- Lessons will finish on time even if the student arrives late.
- Parents are encouraged to observe lessons, but are not required to do so. However, they are asked to pick up students on time in order to respect the next student’s slot. Likewise, discussions of progress may not be possible immediately after the lesson, as another student may be waiting.
- In order to teach how to play the piano, the teacher will need to touch the student’s hands, arms, shoulders, and on occasion, the back. Parents agree to permit the teacher to use appropriate physical touch on their child in order to ensure correct posture and technique
- Lessons and performances may occasionally be videotaped for teaching quality-improvement purposes. Likewise, photos may be taken during lessons.
- Pictures of students, with no mention of names, may on occasion be made public on the gramPIANOstudio blog page or facebook page. Signing this policy indicates your acceptance of such publishing. Any images or videos used will relate solely to your child's music study.
7 MaterialsGramPIANOstudio will provide the regular instructional materials for beginning students, which will be covered by the lesson cost. Students who wish to sit exams (eg AMEB, ANSCA or others) may be required to obtain materials approved by these boards at their own expense. Intermediate and advanced students will obtain their own music and instructional materials.
- e-mail or SMS communication is preferred.
- All students are encouraged to register through MusicTeachersHelper on the studio website.
9 Discontinuation of Lessons –
- If a student wishes to discontinue lessons, parents must advise the teacher in advance.
- If lessons are discontinued before the paid for month is finished, the cost of the remainder of lessons will be refunded.
I have read the 2017 GramPIANOstudio lesson policy and I agree to abide by all the terms and conditions in that document, including release of authority to publish pictures, recordings and videos related to my child's piano study.
Please return this document by ______.
Failure to do so may result in losing the place offered to your child in gramPIANOstudio.
SIGN UP FOR PIANO TUITION: